It's already Day 5 of Peep Week - time is really flying by in that "Wow! I should probably build a set and come up with a shot list and figure out that whole peep movie thing that is supposed to be done in two days!" HA HA HA HA! Ha. Heh. Ahem.
But today is about pie - lemon peep pie, to be precise! In preparing for Peep Week, I thought about how much I love lemon meringue pie and then I thought about how much meringue is like marshmallow and then I thought about how peeps are just marshmallows and then I thought, "Let's make a lemon peep pie!"
So, we did.
I used a whole wheat pie crust from the coop because that makes the pie healthy. Kidding. I used a whole wheat pie crust from the coop because Luisa was going to the coop and I was all, "OH MY GOD PIE CRUST FOR PEEP PIE NEED NOW PLEASE!"
For the filling, I used a recipe from the Joy of Cooking:
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup strained lemon juice
- 2 generous tsp grated lemon zest
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tbs butter
- I package of pink peeps
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk in water, lemon juice and zest.
- Whisk in egg yolks until no yellow streaks remain.
- Add butter.
- Stir constantly and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, cook for 1 minute.
- Pour into the crust and put plastic wrap directly on the surface. I have no idea why.
- Open your peep packages and decide how you want them arranged.
- Remove plastic wrap and place your peeps.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes and that's it!
It started out looking so fresh and springy!
And then I baked it and it looked like this...
We had friends over for dinner that night so I had plenty of help with tasting. The overwhelming opinion was - "YES! LEMON PEEP PIE IS AMAZE-MAZE!" It was so good that we didn't hesitate to finish it off the next day. This is something I would consider making again which means it was a success!