Several weeks ago, I ran across a note written by Miguel that read:
Dear futer self,
Hi it's me past self. You are so lucky you know stuff I don't know.
I thought about this little note recently when I had a horrible day at work. It made me smile because - hello - cuteness. It also made me think about my 16 year old self working at a soda fountain which was a great gig. So, I decided to write a letter to my 16 year old self.
Dear Sixteen Year Old Vikki,
I don't want to freak you out but this is a letter from you at 42. I know - you get old! I just wanted to give you a very important piece of advice. Ready?
Stop thinking about what you should do with your life and think about what you want to do with your life.
That's really all I wanted to say but, since I have your attention, I'd like to give you a few more quick pointers:
- Keep that job at Zarda's as long as you can. That is a good gig. The work is easy and fun and you get free ice cream. What's not to like? Also, eat more ice cream. You'll gain weight someday anyway so don't spend so much time worrying about it.
- Cut your hair. Better to be a short-haired girl in a sea of long-haired girls than to be a poodle/girl hybrid in a sea of long-haired girls. Seriously - do it today.
- Your boyfriend is gay and so are you. If you doubt me, examine your feelings about Belinda Carlile. You don't really want to be Belinda Carlile. You want to do Belinda Carlile. Am I right? I think I am.
- Embrace your quirks. They make you interesting. Also, they are permanent. Sorry - the truth hurts.
- Let mom buy you that orange Karmann Ghia! I know you think it's a weird car but you will appear so much cooler to your future friends if you go with that rather than the Fiat. Mom will be wrong about a lot of things but she is so right about that car!
That's all for now. I have to go ice my sciatica and take out my teeth. Ha! I'm just kidding - 42 isn't that old!
42 year old Vikki