In years past, I have done a peep cocktail as Peep Week winds down - probably because I want a cocktail by that point. This year, however, I decided to do a non-alcoholic cocktail because I have a lot of sober friends and because I knew my kids would love a chance to try a Peep Week signature drink!
So, last night, I made Peep Mai Tais! I got the recipe from Peeps: Recipes and Crafts to Make with Your Favorite Marshmallow Treat by Charity Ferreira.
The recipe is for one drink so I doubled it because I have two kids. MATH!
- 1 wooden skewer
- 1 peeps of your choice
- pineapple wedges
- maraschino cherries
- 1 paper umbrella
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs almond syrup (I omitted this because of the sweetness)
- splash of grenadine
- Spear peep, cherry and pineapple on skewer. I used two pineapple wedges instead of one because my kids love pineapple.
- Insert paper umbrella into peep.
- Fill glass with ice.
- The recipe calls for the liquids to be shaken in a cocktail shaker but I served it over ice without shaking because I like the way it looks when the grenadine settles to the bottom. The presentation is more dramatic that way.
- Add the skewer and serve. The skewer can be used as a stirring stick.
- The recipe did say that you could add 1/4 cup light rum and 2 tbs dark rum to make an alcoholic cocktail but I didn't try that because rum. Blech.
The kids absolutely loved these!